I am currently a Machine Learning Software Engineer on Recommendations team at Twitter Inc., working on Who-To-Follow related projects.
I got PhD in Data Mining and Machine Learning from School of Computing Science, Simon Fraser University, BC, Canada. My thesis supervisor is Professor Martin Ester. I received my B.S. degree from Special Class for the Gifted Young (SCGY), University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) in 2009, and M.S. degree from National Laboratory of Pattern Recognition (NLPR), Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences in 2012, under the supervision of Professor Qing Yang. During my PhD, I interned once at @WalmartLabs and twice at Dato (formerly GraphLab) Inc..
I am broadly interested in data mining, machine learning, recommender systems and social network analysis. My PhD thesis is Towards Better User Preference Learning for Recommender Systems .
Research [Google Scholar]
- Xiang Li, Yao Wu, Martin Ester, Ben Kao, Xin Wang, Yudian Zheng. Semi-Supervised Clustering in Attributed Heterogeneous Information Networks. The 26th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW'17), 2017. To appear.
- Yao Wu, Christopher DuBois, Alice X. Zheng, Martin Ester. Collaborative Denoising Auto-Encoders for Top-N Recommender Systems. The 9th ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM'16), p153--162, 2016. (Acceptance Rate ≈ 18%) [paper][slides][poster][code][bibtex]
- Yao Wu*, Xudong Liu*, Min Xie, Martin Ester, Qing Yang. CCCF: Improving Collaborative Filtering via Scalable User-Item Co-Clustering. The 9th ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM'16), p73--82, 2016. (* Equal Contribution) (Acceptance Rate ≈ 18%) [paper][slides][poster][bibtex]
- Yao Wu, Martin Ester. FLAME: A Probabilistic Model Combining Aspect-Based Opinion Mining and Collaborative Filtering. The 8th ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM'15), p199--208, 2015. (Acceptance Rate ≈ 16%) [paper][slides][poster][bibtex]
- Zhiheng Xu, Yang Zhang, Yao Wu, Qing Yang. Modeling User Posting Behaviour on Social Media. The 35th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR’12), p545--554, 2012. (Acceptance Rate ≈ 20%) [paper] [bibtex]
- Yao Wu, Qiang Yan, Danny Bickson, Yucheng Low, Qing Yang. Efficient Multicore Collaborative Filtering. ACM KDD-Cup'11 Workshop, 2011. [arXiv]
- Bin Liu, Yao Wu, Neil Zhenqiang Gong, Junjie Wu, Hui Xiong, Martin Ester. Structural Analysis of User Choices for Mobile App Recommendation. ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data (TKDD), Volume 11 Issue 2, November 2016. [paper] [arXiv]
- Yang Zhang, Yao Wu, Qing Yang. Community Discovery in Twitter Based on User Interests, Journal of Computational Information Systems, V8 I3, 2012
- Yao Wu. Towards Better User Preference Learning for Recommender Systems. PhD Thesis. Simon Fraser University. August 2016. [pdf]
- Yao Wu. From Micro to Macro: Understanding User Preferences from Different Perspectives for Personalized Recommendation. PhD Depth Exam Report. March 2016. [pdf]
- Yao Wu. Personalized Recommendation on Heterogeneous Information Networks, Master Thesis (in Chinese), 2012.
Software Engineer (Machine Learning), Twitter Inc., San Francisco, CA, U.S., Aug 2016 - Present
Working on the Recommendations team.
Who-to-follow related projects
Data Scientist Intern, Dato (formerly GraphLab) Inc., Seattle, WA, U.S., Summer 2015
Worked with the Toolkit team.
Designed and developed scalable Approximate Nearest Neighbor Search algorithms for GraphLab Create.
Data Scientist Intern, Dato (formerly GraphLab) Inc., Seattle, WA, U.S., Summer 2014
Designed and developed scalable Collaborative Filtering algorithms for GraphLab Create.
Data Scientist Intern, @WalmartLabs, San Bruno, CA, U.S., Summer 2013
Worked with the Site Personalization team. Manager: Dr. Pranam Kolari
Big Data Analysis and Modeling using Apache Hadoop/Hive/Pig.
Developed several state-of-art collaborative filtering methods for the recommendation modules of Walmart.com
- Ph.D., Database and Data Mining Lab, School of Computing Science, Simon Fraser University (SFU), BC, Canada. Fall 2012 - Summer 2016.
- M.S., National Laboratory of Pattern Recognition (NLPR), Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Beijing, China. Fall 2009 - Summer 2012.
- B.S., Special Class for the Gifted Young (SCGY), University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), Hefei, Anhui Province, China. Fall 2005 - Summer 2009.
PC member: AIRS'16.
External Reviewer: SDM'17, PAKDD'17, BigData'16, CIKM'16, Recsys‘16, SIGIR'16, ICML'16, MLRec'16, IJCAI'16, WWW'16, Recsys'15, BigData'15.
Journal Reviewer: TKDE, TOIS, JCST.