Update (2016/08): I have successfully defended my thesis. Thanks a lot to the examining committee (Dr. Martin Ester, Dr. Jian Pei, Dr. Ke Wang, Dr. George Karypis and Dr. Ze-Nian Li)! I will join Twitter's recommendation team this August.
Welcome to my homepage! I am currently a PhD student at School of Computing Science, Simon Fraser University, BC, Canada. My thesis supervisor is Professor Martin Ester. Before I moved to Canada, I received my B.S. degree from Special Class for the Gifted Young (SCGY), University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) in 2009, and M.S. degree from National Laboratory of Pattern Recognition (NLPR), Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences in 2012, under the supervision of Professor Qing Yang. During my PhD, I interned once at @WalmartLabs and twice at Dato (formerly GraphLab) Inc..
I am broadly interested in data mining, machine learning and social network analysis. In particular, my thesis topic is to design novel Collaborative Filtering methods for Recommender Systems.
Research [Google Scholar]
- Yao Wu, Christopher DuBois, Alice X. Zheng, Martin Ester. Collaborative Denoising Auto-Encoders for Top-N Recommender Systems. The 9th ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM'16), p153--162, 2016. (Acceptance Rate ≈ 18%) [paper][slides][poster][code][bibtex]
- Yao Wu*, Xudong Liu*, Min Xie, Martin Ester, Qing Yang. CCCF: Improving Collaborative Filtering via Scalable User-Item Co-Clustering. The 9th ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM'16), p73--82, 2016. (* Equal Contribution) (Acceptance Rate ≈ 18%) [paper][slides][poster][bibtex]
- Yao Wu, Martin Ester. FLAME: A Probabilistic Model Combining Aspect-Based Opinion Mining and Collaborative Filtering. The 8th ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM'15), p199--208, 2015. (Acceptance Rate ≈ 16%) [paper][slides][poster][bibtex]
- Zhiheng Xu, Yang Zhang, Yao Wu, Qing Yang. Modeling User Posting Behaviour on Social Media. The 35th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR’12), p545--554, 2012. (Acceptance Rate ≈ 20%) [paper] [bibtex]
- Yao Wu, Qiang Yan, Danny Bickson, Yucheng Low, Qing Yang. Efficient Multicore Collaborative Filtering. ACM KDD-Cup'11 Workshop, 2011. [arXiv]
- Bin Liu, Yao Wu, Neil Gong, Hui Xiong, Martin Ester. Structural Analysis of User Choices for Mobile App Recommendation. Accepted to ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data (TKDD), to appear. [arXiv]
- Yang Zhang, Yao Wu, Qing Yang. Community Discovery in Twitter Based on User Interests, Journal of Computational Information Systems, V8 I3, 2012
- Yao Wu. From Micro to Macro: Understanding User Preferences from Different Perspectives for Personalized Recommendation. PhD Depth Exam Report. March 2016. [pdf]
- Yao Wu. Personalized Recommendation on Heterogeneous Information Networks, Master Thesis (in Chinese), 2012.
Data Scientist Intern, Dato (formerly GraphLab) Inc., Seattle, WA, U.S., Summer 2015
Worked with the Toolkit team.
Designed and developed scalable Approximate Nearest Neighbor Search algorithms for GraphLab Create.
Data Scientist Intern, Dato (formerly GraphLab) Inc., Seattle, WA, U.S., Summer 2014
Designed and developed scalable Collaborative Filtering algorithms for GraphLab Create.
Data Scientist Intern, @WalmartLabs, San Bruno, CA, U.S., Summer 2013
Worked with the Site Personalization team. Manager: Dr. Pranam Kolari
Big Data Analysis and Modeling using Apache Hadoop/Hive/Pig.
Developed several state-of-art collaborative filtering methods for the recommendation modules of Walmart.com
- Ph.D. Student, School of Computing Science, Simon Fraser University (SFU), BC, Canada. Fall 2012 - Now.
- M.S., National Laboratory of Pattern Recognition (NLPR), Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Beijing, China. Fall 2009 - Summer 2012.
- B.S., Special Class for the Gifted Young (SCGY), University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), Hefei, Anhui Province, China. Fall 2005 - Summer 2009.
PC member: AIRS'16.
External Reviewer: CIKM'16, Recsys‘16, SIGIR'16, ICML'16, MLRec'16, IJCAI'16, WWW'16, Recsys'15, BigData'15.
Journal Reviewer: TKDE, TOIS, JCST.